Wednesday 6 July 2011

Diary of an IT worker

Having a bad week

OK fair and square, I accept that life can't be one big bed of rose that you can just roll over and over in as you casually mutter your favourite love poems, but I take objection to this week so far.

Monday:

Incident 1:
Arrive at work earlish (7:35) only to realise that I've forgotten my pass and the reception doesn't open til 8:00. Then have to walk to the cash machine, get cash, then drive off to get petrol to come back to gain access at 8:05

Incident 2:
During the course of the day I realise that I've forgotten my glasses

Incident 3:
11:30 I decide to go to bed and as a result of the hot weather I'm lying on top of my bed in my undies. Just as I settle down one of my neighbours house alarms goes off. Now this week I'm looking after my neighbours house and they have an alarm. I contemplate ignoring it for a mo but decide that I better go out and check...anyway by the time I get to my front door the alarm is off and I have no idea whether it was my neighbours alarm or not. So have to enter the house and check that everything is OK (it was)

Tuesday:

Incident 1:
Wake up early (5:30) - Walk around next doors to feed their cats - it's raining so take my shoes off at the front door and carry them to the back door, where I put them back on before feeding the cats outside. Re-enter neighbours house, take shoes off and tidy up cat food area. Walk to front door, set the alarm, open front door, look down and realise that I've left my shoes by the back door mat. I have no idea how long I've got before the alarm goes off and decide that it's best to leave the shoes and walk bare-foot to my house.

Incident 2:
Spend all day trying to resolve an IIS / ASP.NET installation problem. At about 5:15 - Success! and joyous celebrations. So now it's time to resolve the IIS problem on the other server. Log on to reinstall IIS and get chucked off halfway through the build. Can't connect to server... then finally mange to connect to server and decide to uninstall IIS. During the re-install, Arghhhh, I discover that I'm actually on the server that was working and I've just uninstalled IIS. So it's now 6:00 and I have 2 servers to build before going home.

Incident 3:
7:25 and some manager phones me to tell me that he has an urgent piece of work and that he's going on holiday. I tell him I can't possibly perform the work item (which would actually only take about 2 minutes) and that he'll have to find another resource.

Incident 4:
Eventually leave at 7:45 and just as I near the joyous motorway exit - bam, a police car pulls out in front of me and blocks off the exit. So I'm then forced to drive on down the to the next exit adding more time to my journey.

This is all down to the loss of my lucky sock...

No comments: