Wednesday 23 May 2007

Marriott Memoirs - Chapter 2

A night out of the hotel

At the local dry ski slope, there is a freestyle ski club. For those of you who are unaware of the activities that freestyle skiers perform, I'll list a few.
  • Ramps - Of variable height (0.5 - 1 metre). Skiers go as fast as possible, ski up the ramp and take off into the air, with skill it is possible to land without falling over. Some people can spin in the air before landing.
  • Rails - A small ramp leads onto a gas pipe. The skier or boarder has to turn 90 degrees, land on the pipe and travel sideways balancing on the pipe.
  • Moguls - A series of bumps of varying height and width through which the skier must travel without being thrown over.
  • The coffin - Two parallel rails forming a box. Snowboarders seem to like this one.
  • Quarter pipe - At the bottom of the slope, a 2 metre high ramp which curves at the bottom and ends with a vertical section. Skiers will go as fast as possible, hitting the curved section (called the transition) and ski upwards to the vertical section (the vert), then just before falling backwards will spin around 180 degrees and ski back down the vert and transition.
Last night was Quarter pipe night.

The freestyle club has a few well known faces on the UK skiing scene. The England freestyle coach and UK champion amongst them.

With this standard of tuition available, it would have been churlish to refuse the offer of having a go.

Sitting with the coach watching the regulars and hearing his analysis and instructions, it all seems very straightforward. You need speed. You need to have your weight forward as you hit the transition, push off the vert as you lose speed, and simply turn in the air. The main problem that most people have is not having enough speed. They bottle out at the last minute, brake with a snowplough and don't get past the curved transition section, making it very difficult to turn.

It was my turn. I went up the lift to the top of the slope and waited in line. Most people were being given the now familiar instruction to speed up. I wouldn't need that. The skis I was wearing were slalom skis designed for speed, unlike everyone elses twin tips designed for freestyle tricks.

As I set off, the video camera was recording my run. A straight line. No last minute braking. Skiing right up the transition onto the vert. Leaving the top.

It's at this point that you need to turn if you don't want to fall to the ground. I did turn, but not enough. Landing on my left shoulder I hit the ground and the coach was there instantly to pick me up, the video camera thown aside in panic.

Bruised, but otherwise unscathed, I got up, massaged my shoulder and wondered what had gone wrong. Playing back the video in slow motion showed a skier accelerating fast and hitting a wall. The fall had not been captured as everyone had leapt to their feet and run towards me.

"Do you want another go? "

I heard myself saying "Yes"

Descending from the same height on the slope, but slowing down slightly before hitting the transition, I took off into the air as before. This time was more successfull, getting the same extreme height as before and getting one ski round the turn before landing on my head. Did I say more successfull? I meant from a video footage point of view. This time it was all on film.

Dazed and confused, I nonetheless understood the instruction "No more for you tonight". It was only then that I noticed the trampoline club logos some of the regulars were wearing. Maybe they already knew how to turn in the air.

Back at the hotel, the bed didn't seem quite as comfortable as before. Knee and elbow grazed, thumb unable to grip, shoulder aching and a headache.

It's good to get out to get some exercise once in a while.

1 comment:

JD said...

Addendum:
Nurofen really helps.