Thursday 5 July 2007

Tales from Plot 55, The Street Allotments

Introducing Blower Lower

We'd like to introduce you to Blower Lower the Vegetable Grower. In fact he would like to introduce himself:

"Good day to you from me, Blower Lower.

Some of you may know me as NorbertD of worldwidewig fame. Perhaps you know me already for my work with fermented vegetables and cheese, but I suspect few realise that I also like nothing more than a good forking knee deep in mud.

Now about this time of year, our green and pleasant lands are bursting with fresh greenyness and berryness.

Question:
Given the abundance of greenyness and berryness that has been established everywhere, do I
a) Order my produce from Tesco online and await delivery of shrivelled mankiness from a million miles away grown ten years ago in a chemical bath?

Or

b) Pop down to Plot 55, The Street Allotments, enjoy some gardening banter with Dennis and Albert from the adjoining plots and then manfully pluck an organically grown root vegetable from the rich soil hold it high above my head and shout ' hallelujah it's an organic parsnip and I'm going to make lerrrrrrrv to it'?

If you answered a) then you are very silly* and you did make Blower Lower hop up and down angrily.

However if you answered b) then read on fellow friend of the vegetable, Blower Lower will make a gardener of you yet."

Tales from Plot 55, The Street Allotments

Part 1

The Plot - 55 The Street Allotments lies in the peaceful village of Bearsted in Kent (peaceful that is until a huge 3 mile Rail Freight Depot is built which will effectively ruin it).

The plot is on a slight incline, so some gentle up hill gardening is necessary. It keeps me fit but it can be a bit messy. Albert gave me hand last week - between us we worked up quite a sweat. He may be old, but Albert is capable of a vigorous half hour burst that would shame a younger man. The old Blower muscles were a bit tired the next day though I must admit.

Next week: Focus on my favourite tool and we'll also be taking a sneak look at me sowing my seeds.

Until next week, may your seeds grow with you.

Blower

* the language was much stronger than this in his email.

No comments: